Eggplant Tartine with Tomatoes, Olives, and Cucumbers: French Fridays with Dorie

Eggplant Tartine

"Not more eggplant." was my first reaction to this recipe. I have made my share of eggplant parmesan and eggplant rollatini this summer. Don't get me wrong these are wonderful dishes that highlight eggplant's potential as a meat substitute, but both of these traditional Italian dishes are very labor intensive.

Not this recipe! Eggplant Tartine is surprisely easy to make because you don't have to fry or wrap the eggplant, just roast it and it is done.

The salsa was so delicious I am curious if any of you Doristia's have ideas for what else you can top with this wonderful concoction?

Dorie claimed that this dish was a bit Italianate, but I really think the strong celery favor made it more French. I served it with big chunks of Camembert cheese and a side of lentil soup with ciabatta rolls. 

My husband was gaga over this dish and my 20 year old nephew was thrilled to eat good vegetables before he went back to college. My kids were mixed about it. The usual, "I don't hate it." may have been stated. 

My husband and I want to eat more vegetarian but are not willing to return to "The Moosewood Cookbook." My days of cooking healthy hippie food is over. For me this kind of meal really reassures me that vegetarian can be gourmet. 

Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 








Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter