WHEN IN ROME: GELATO!

Butter with a Side of Bread Gelato
Guess what! In Europe? We ate a lot of gelato! 

It seems fitting when in Rome, right? Actually, it was all called gelato, but I think we had ice cream, yogurt, sorbet... and maybe one actual gelato:) We rationalized consuming gelato multiple times a day by sharing and trying a new flavor each time. Makes sense, right?

Presenting: honey/chocolate chip from the home of "the best gelato in Rome" above (via Il Gelato di San Crispino). As a side note... the chocolate chip WAS my favorite of the bunch! || Raspberry (from somewhere near the Trevi Fountain) || Sour cherry (from somewhere near the Spanish Steps- totally licked pre-photo. MAN that stuff melts fast in the heat!) || Strawberry & vanilla swirl (woah, dude! This was totally near the Sacre Coeur in Paris- a little stand offering some heavenly deliciousness... eh, I'll allow this fumble of non-Roman locale this time.) || Finally, blackberry-tourist-rip-off from... Mmm... I can't remember? A shop near the Spanish Steps. This was tragic- I was temped by the chocolate cone so I told the worker, "Small gelato for 3 euro? In this cone?" In (fake) broken English (I know he spoke English) he replied, "This cone? Not small. Medium." Well, I could see that the medium was 4 euro, but said, "Eh... Si!" What's one more euro, right? After all, it's our last night! Well 4.5 minutes later he emerged from a giant topiary blocking my view and presented the below masterpiece. My eyes widened as I realized, "Ooooh, that is SO not 4 euro!" He shushed me away, "You pay... there... he help you..." Pointing vaguely past the sea of nighttime tourists, we meandered with our melting masterpiece. My eyes focused on the register when "9.50" popped up. GASP! GAG! Faint. Darn tourist trap. Add in the conversion rate, and you have a $13 treat. We enjoyed the view of our last night in Rome from the Spanish steps, devouring every morsel of the ridiculously expensive cone:)

I love that gelato is totally accessible these days- do you have a favorite flavor? Location? I know that both Harmon's (random!) and Settebello (remember Settebello?!) in Farmington  score on delicious gelato. Where else? Any recommendations? Anything worth $13?  Yah, probably not.
Butter with a Side of Bread Gelato
Butter with a Side of Bread Gelato

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter