Cheese Raviolis with Pumpkin Sauce: Foodie Friday

Cheese Raviolis with Pumpkin Sauce
Cheese Raviolis with Pumpkin Sauce

This looks good right...wrong. I have been in a cooking slump... my magic wand is broken. All my concoctions have turned into toad's stew lately. Probably, because I have been working with apples, pumpkins, and squash... which are not part of my regular "go to" ingredients... also Fall herbs like rosemary and sage are not typical for me to cook with either... 

I have been trying to make more seasonal meals, and so I have been pushing at my culinary limits... this is all good in the long run, but in the short run I need to come up with recipes for this blog.


My husband encouraged me to share my most recent cooking failure with you.


"Because you don't want them to think EVERYTHING you make tastes good ALL the time." 

He is right... if you really want to learn to cook well you do have to take some chances... sometimes they work out really well, and other times... like this sauce... they just come out too sweet.


I had looked at several pumpkin sauce recipes on line. None of them incorporated apples into the recipe. Which I thought would be a great idea because they are so available at this time of year too. 


 I decided to add apple cider to the sauce, thinking it would be like white wine... but more seasonal. 
Combine with the pumpkin puree...it just made the sauce way too sweet. I did add fresh sage to the recipe, which is an earthy contrast to sweet pumpkin, but it wasn't enough of a balancing agent to off set the apple cider.

Oh, well I tried and I will try again...



I really just need to keep my cooking in perspective: a ruined dinner is truly not that big of a deal... there is always pizza.


So please check out this recipe, it is the closest to what I was aiming for flavor wise (use about 4 pieces of sage) :

...and enjoy a really delicious seasonal alternative to tomato sauce on your raviolis tonight.





Foodie Friday Features: 

From: My Carolina Kitchen

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup Caribbean Style

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup Caribbean Style

This is soup uses Sherry vinegar which has a fantastic flavor. Combine with pumpkin and black beans you have a right in season satisfying vegetarian meal.


From: Carissa's Food Blog

Chicken with White Bean Enchiladas
Chicken with White Bean Enchiladas
I just love the contrast between the mellow chicken and white beans and the chilies in this recipe. Great for a chilly Fall night.


From: cook with Sara

Caramel Apple Cookies
Caramel Apple Cookies 
What could possibly be better than caramel baked into an apple cookie? I can't think of anything. A perfect Autumn dessert.


Instructions for Foodie Friday linky:

This is a food party please only link up food related posts. Thank you. 

SUBSCRIBE TO THIS BLOG BY EMAIL OR RSS... 

or FRIEND ME ON FACEBOOK

SPREAD THE WORD: PIN, FB, TWEET ETC... this party. It is good for you and me.


1) Copy the Foodie Friday Button's html from this website's sidebar.
2) Paste this html to the html page of the recipe you want to link to Foodie Friday. You can also make a word link or post our button on your sidebar.                                                                 Please link back.
3) Copy the link to the recipes you want to add to Foodie Friday, not your homepage. You can post up to 3 recipes that you have not shared before.
4) Click on "your next" on this page.
5) Past your link and type in the name of the recipe, not your name.
6) Choose how you want to download the photo.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter