Mostly Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

My family had another dinner party where we each picked a menu item {see more how this dinner party worked with my Piña Colada Salad}, but instead of an ingredient, we picked a ethnic type of food. I picked Chinese/Appetizer.

I wanted to be creative, and honestly, I have NEVER made any kind of Chinese food before. Sure, I'll go to Chinese restaurants, but I was always kind of intimidated to try it. Then, after searching my Pinterest boards for some inspiration, I ran across this recipe I saved from Six Sister's Stuff. It is seriously the best chicken I have ever made, and luckily my picky husband LOVES it, too!! Best of all, it's a lot easier than I thought it would be!


Chicken:
3-5 Chicken Breasts
1 cup Cornstarch
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
3/4 cup Sugar
4 Tablespoons Ketchup
1/4 cup Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Garlic Salt

  1. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle with a little salt & pepper.
  2. Pour oil into a pan and heat to frying temperature.
  3. Put cornstarch into a bowl. Lightly beat eggs in a separate bowl.
  4. Dip chicken pieces into cornstarch, then into the eggs. I also found it to be pretty easy to put the cornstarch into a Ziploc bag, then put all the chicken into the bag and shake it up until all the chicken was coated. Then, take the pieces out, and dip them in the eggs.
  5. Place chicken into the pan and cook until brown. Chicken may not be cooked all the way, but you just need to get the outside crunchy. {Hence, the "mostly" baked in the title}
  6. Put all the chicken pieces into a 9x13 pan and coat with sweet & sour sauce.
  7. Bake at 350º for 30 minutes to an hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes.


Yes, I realize that this is a main dish, but to turn it into an appetizer for our dinner party, all I did was I put some cooked white rice in cups and top with a few pieces of chicken. It worked great, and they were a hit! I would recommend making a little extra sauce if you are mixing with rice, just so they don't dry out.


Linking to these parties!

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter