Orange Scented Lentil Soup: French Fridays with Dorie

Orange Scented Lentil Soup
Orange Scented Lentil Soup

Dorie tells the story that when you ask a French man about his favorite foods he will always mention his mother's soup, most likely her lentil soup. Italians feel the same way about lentil soup. As soon as the weather gets a little chilly a pot of lentils goes on the stove and stays there until summer.

This recipe is a little tres chic as far as lentil soup goes. Dorie adds the warming flavor of ginger and the bright taste of orange. She also throws in some peppercorn and coriander seeds.

I especially enjoyed the aroma of the orange peels simmering in the soup. When it is cold and dreary outside any scent of summer lifts my spirits.

Because this is a French lentil soup I got to use lentils du Puy. These are such wonderful tasting and beautiful to look at lentils; I wonder if French kids play with them. I want to:


lentils du Puy uncooked
lentils du Puy uncooked

My family's criticism of the soup had nothing to do with it's flavor. We just felt that it didn't need to be pureed. My daughter kept complaining that lentil skins were sticking in her teeth. I didn't see why I need to use whole pepper and coriander seeds because, of course, they didn't puree either... and they somehow ended up ALL in my bowl of soup. 

Would I make this soup again,  absolutely... we eat so much lentil soup over the Fall and Winter that I am happy to add Dorie's version to my repertoire. 

It appears that this is a published recipe of Dorie's. So here it is:



Here are some of my lentil recipes:


Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 

 





This post will be shared with:


Meatless Monday:





Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter