HEALTHY HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS

healthy granola bars:butter with a side of bread


When I was growing up, my Mom would always make our own granola bars. I don't remember many times when I would eat a store bought one but I do remember going to the freezer and pulling out one of Mom's granola bars. Being 6 months pregnant, I crave treats but I want healthy treats.  I decided to make my Mom's granola bars but put in there what I wanted. Here is the wonderful tasty result!!

HEALTHY HOME-MADE GRANOLA BARS

INGREDIENTS

1 cup granola - you can pick your favorite
1/2 cup peanuts
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/2 cup mini M&M's
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter

I went to the bulk food section of my local grocery store (WINCO) and collected what I wanted in the granola bars. Aside from the honey and peanut butter, the rest of the ingredients are optional and you can take out and add what your family likes.

Healthy Home Made Granola bars:Butter with a side of bread

Step 1 - Put all the ingredients, minus the honey and peanut butter, into a large bowl and mix well.

Healthy Home Made Granola bars:Butter with a side of bread

Step 2 - Put the honey and peanut butter into a small pan and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Once at a boil, decrease the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Step 3 - Pour honey and peanut butter mix all over the other ingredients and mix well.

Step 4 - Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. Pour mixture onto the parchment paper and spread out evenly with a clean spoon or greased baggie over your hand.

Healthy Home Made Granola bars:Butter with a side of bread

Step 5 - Refrigerate mixture until firm. Cut into desired size. Store in the refrigerator.

My Mom would make a large batch of these and wrap each bar with saran wrap. She would then freeze them. We would take them out each morning and by lunch time they were soft and chewy.

Healthy Home Made Granola bars:Butter with a side of bread

Enjoy

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter