BBQ Meatball Subs with No Mayo Coleslaw


I almost always have meatballs in my freezer. They provide quick dinners that you'd never know where unplanned or last minute and I make a really tasty healthy baked meatball. I had some surprise guests for dinner a few weeks ago and we had spaghetti with homemade sauce and homemade meatballs. My guests were worried about the trouble I'd gone through to feed them, but little did they know it was all in my freezer, ready to be popped out for just such an occasion. Well, another such occasion popped up on Saturday after we'd spent a day doing chores and running errands. This time I turned the meatballs into a meatball sub. See how versatile they are? But this wasn't just your regular old marinara meatball sub. I had some cabbage that needed to be used up so I figured I'd turn it into a BBQ meatball sub with a little coleslaw topping. It was quite tasty and a pleasant twist on the good ol' meatball sub. It was super easy to make, required very little effort on my part, and even my 5 year old was pleased with the result. "Oh mom, that looks so good!" It even manages to sneak in veggies. 


Ingredients

4 sub sandwich rolls
1/2 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 carrots, shredded
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup bbq sauce


Instructions

1. Bake your meatballs at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes. 

2. Meanwhile, make your coleslaw by tossing together the shredded cabbage, sliced onion, shredded carrots, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, and 2 tsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

3. Toast your sandwich rolls by tossing them in the oven open face during the last few minutes of the meatballs cooking.

4. Pour bbq sauce over the cooked meatballs. Put 4 meatballs on each toasted sub and top with a pile of the coleslaw. 



Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter