Chicken Strips Recipe


Chicken Strips is also known as Chicken Tenders, or Chicken Fillet. Crunchy, crispy, tender chicken strips is a favorite with kids and adults alike, they are so addictive and easy to make.

A few of you might have seen my show on Mazhavil Manorama (a popular Malayalam TV Channel), the show was for a program called "Vanitha". Though it was the first time, I am facing camera (other than for my wedding; lol) I had a great experience; the crew made me so comfortable that I thoroughly enjoyed the show; thanks to Vinod (producer), Eltho (Editor) and to the rest of the crew.

I made three quick and easy recipes for the show; Chocolate Balls, Schezwan Masala Dosa, and Chicken Strips.  The first two is already here on the blog and since I am having lot of requests for the chicken strips recipe, I am sharing it today.

Sharing a behind the scene shot of the show :)

Okay, back to chicken strips; they are so addictive, that I promise you will definitely thank me for making this recipe so easy.As most moms know "chicken strips" is the most popular restaurant food that kids love!! This popular appetizer/snack can be made at home and the good thing is ....minus all the preservatives, MSG or other artificial additives...isnt that really cool!! The best thing is you can make them ahead and fry them as and when needed...double cool, right??? I usually put it in two containers and keep one in the freezer and one in the top shelf of my refrigerator. I do make chicken fillet meal/sandwich with this and chicken burgers.

Knowing that ready to fry chicken strips are in the freezer; makes life easy for me at times and I am sure you will love this. I sometimes make chicken burgers or sandwich with this for my kids lunch. They always say it is more convenient and filling.

Notes:
#Lemon juice makes the chicken tender and juicy, I used half of a fairly big lemon, if using smaller one, use one whole.
#Cornflour absorbs the moisture in the chicken and also acts as a slight coating to the chicken thus giving it a more crispy crust. Alternatively you can also dip each chicken into the flour and then dip in the egg and then in breadcrumbs.....(I personally do not have the patience for that) which ofcourse, is too much work, so I found an easier method.... also this will give the chicken a double coating.
#For the breadcrumbs, I normally powder coarsely a day old bread in my small dry grinder of my Preethi Mixie. I also add 1 tsp of pepper powder to season the breadcrumbs. You can try with basil, oregano, or even chilli flakes (for spicier version). You can also mix some crushed cornflakes to the breadcrumbs....for added crunchiness.
 #I use homemade Kashmiri chilly powder, for all my cooking; it has very less spice compared to ordinary chilly powder, so if you are using ordinary one; reduce by half or use accordingly.
#You can also use whole eggs; but since I keep this for a few days, I am using only egg whites.
#I use turmeric in my cooking, purely because of its health benefits; if you do not like to use it you can skip it.

Author: Nisa Homey.
Ingredients: 
Chicken breasts: 500 gms, cut into finger size (you can also use boneless chicken)
Kashmiri Chilly Powder: 3/4 to 1 tsp
Fresh Pepper Powder: 3/4 tsp.
Fresh ginger-garlic paste: 1 tsp.
Lemon: Juice of 1/2 of a big lemon.
A fat pinch of turmeric.
Corn flour: 1 to 2 tbsp.
Egg white: 1, lightly beaten.
Salt: 1 tsp or according to your taste.
Breadcrumbs: About 1-2 cups (remember to season it with pepper powder)
Oil for frying.

Method:
Lets Marinate the chicken first. Put the cleaned chicken in a bowl, and add in 3/4 to 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilly powder, 3/4 tsp pepper powder, 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste, turmeric, salt, and squeeze the lemon into it. Mix all with your hand and keep in the fridge for about an hour.

Then add in 1 -2 tbsp cornflour....I usually add 2 tbsp...mostly depending on the moisture in the chicken

Mix well. Add in the beaten egg white and again mix well...

Powder a few slices of bread with a tsp of pepper powder....do not powder finely, just coarsely. Transfer it into a bowl.

Take each chicken strip and dip nicely in the breadcrumbs, press....and place in another dry container. Do the same with the rest.

I keep the breaded chicken strips in two containers.


I cover with a paper napkin before I cover with the lid....so that any moister while in the fridge will be absorbed by the tissue paper. I usually keep one container in the fridge and the other in the freezer.

Heat refined oil in a kadai ( I used my iron kadai, for more heat) Once the oil is really hot (360 degree C) pop in the chicken strips.

Fry till golden brown. Strain on a paper napkin.


Enjoy!! Tender juicy and crunchy chicken strips.

You can also make Chicken Burgers with this; cut buns into half, toast them with butter, spread a little mayonnaise, top with lettuce leaves, cheese, tomato, onion, and lastly chicken strips...cover with the other half.

Check out Breaded Chicken Burger.

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter