Pear Chestnut Soup #French Fridays with Dorie

Pear Chestnut Soup: Simple Living and Eating


My grandmother, Marietta lived next door to me and whenever I was bored I would go to her house and check in with her…to see what she was cooking or to just play cards.

This particular day I came upon Marietta sitting in her rocking chair crocheting yet another odd colored afghan, she always got her wool on sale, and you could tell!



What happened to your wrist?

The &%^*! driver of the senior bus took a sharp turn, and I fell and broke it.

The next time I saw my grandmother she was playing pinochle with some of her Italian friends. They had roasted chestnuts and she was cracking them with her cast. I was horrified when I saw her doing this.

What are you doing? Pointing to her wrist. 

Her reply, Well, at least it's a gooda for something!

I'm not sure if using your cast as a nutcracker is a good way to heal a fracture… but my grandmother was a very practical woman who loved chestnuts.

As soon as the weather got cold my family always roasted chestnuts, and we loved just eating them out the shell, still warm from the oven.

I never thought to make soup with them. I have to say, the light nutty flavor of chestnuts combine with the sweetness of Autumn pears is a fantastic combination. I used fresh rosemary as the top note to this luscious cold weather soup. Rosemary was a wonderful counter flavor to the earthiness of the chesnuts… really delicious. 

Click on here for an adaptation of this Pear Chestnut Soup, but for the real deal I highly recommend putting, Around My French Table on your holiday gift list. You will not regret buying this cookbook. 


You are invited to join my new linky party. Cook a recipe of your choice from the chosen country and explore the world with us.  Dec 10th we will be sharing dishes from Germany.



Add your email to our list and I will remind you a week before the party and on the day of the party so you won't forget to link up.







Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 



Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.




This post is being shared on the following food/craft parties. Please check them out: 

Tuesday Food:
Wednesday Food:
Thursday Food:
Friday Food:







Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter