Savory Far Breton: Salty-Sweet…Potato Far

Savory Far Breton: Salty-Sweet Potato Far: Simple Living and Eating


Savory Far Breton is a custardy cake with prunes, raisin, potatoes, eggs, flour and BACON. This kind of dish is extremely foreign to me. It looks like German Kugel. Coming from an Italian background I have never eaten a potato cake before. 

Did I like it? If I grew up with it I would call it a comfort food, but I didn't grow up with it… so I would describe it as something that is not a quiche and not a cake. The texture limbo of this dish was unsettling to me. My husband and daughter enjoyed it. My son found it strange too.

Savory Far Breton: Salty-Sweet Potato Far: Simple Living and Eating

I served it with kale, but I felt I should of added some cheese or an egg dish to it. I did not find this dish to stand on it's own, maybe if it had cheese in it. Dorie claimed it can be "a main event." But I think some beef stew or sausage… more of a German meal would have gone nicely with this…
Salty-Sweet Potato Far… interesting idea, but not a repeat for my house.

Click here for a classic Far Breton recipe. I did not find a savory version similar to this dish on line… so if you are interested in Dorie's recipe please check out: Around My French Table.

You are invited to join my new linky party. Cook a recipe of your choice from the chosen country and explore the world with us.  Dec 10th we will be sharing dishes from Germany.



Add your email to our list and I will remind you a week before the party and on the day of the party so you won't forget to link up.







Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 



Click here to see how the other Dorista's did.





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter