Corn Pancakes: French Fridays with Dorie

corn pancakes
Corn Pancake with Smoked Salmon, Miniature Zucchini, Creme Fraiche and Dill

I was really skeptical about this dish... buying a canned grain (a popular myth, but no corn is not a vegetable) was such an anti-foodie experience. I didn't realize what a food snob I've become. My 10 year old explained to me that Dorie probably uses canned corn because it is so moist. I think she is right. The batter came out very creamy. The pancakes cooked up nicely: crisp and light. 

I served them with smoked salmon, thinly sliced miniature zucchini, topped with creme fraiche and dill... WOW, these were delicious. Though after my 4th one my stomach felt like I had swallowed a brick. I realized that these pancakes served this way are probably best as an appetizer. 

My family and I brainstormed ideas for toppings...my daughter really wanted to have them as a dessert. She covered a leftover pancake with strawberries and whipped cream, pretty good. She also thought that they might be nice filled with cinnamon sugar and cream....maybe? but I see them as being more as a savory dish.

I can see ladling a ratatouille with sausage over them or maybe a Southwest dish: some black beans mixed with lime and cilantro and topped with sour cream... 

What are your ideas for toppings I would love to hear them...???





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter