The Food of Israel:Mediterranean Cuisine: Healthy Eating


Source: http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2008/10/08/who_owns_hummus

Israel is a place that I have always longed to visit... I am fasinated by how many religions have been shaped in this little country and the history of it’s occupation by different empires... but it has never worked out... though I feel that I will get there one day, and it will be glorious.
I went to New York University, so many of my friends were from Israel we used to love to go to a little falafel shop called Mamoun's Falafel Restaurant. I loved this place because it has a sister restaurant in New Haven, Ct were I am from.
My Israeli friends would always tell me that the way Italians brag about their mom's tomato sauce... Israelis brag about their mom’s hummus. Everyone has a slightly different recipe. A few friends of mine made their mom’s recipes for me and they were very different. One was very spicy. I think she put peppers in it. Another was more lemony, and yet another was very garlicky. I never knew there are so many ways to make hummus.
* Israeli cuisine has adopted, and continues to adapt, elements of various styles of Jewish cuisine, particularly the Mizrahi, Sephardic, and Ashkenazi styles of cooking.[1] It incorporates many foods traditionally eaten in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines, and foods such as falafel, hummus, shakshouka, couscous, and za'atar are now thought to be synonymous with Israeli cuisine.[2][3]

Other influences on the cuisine are the availability of foods common to the Mediterranean region, especially certain kinds of fruits and vegetables, dairy products and fish; the distinctive traditional dishes prepared at holiday times; the tradition of keeping kosher, which affects the preparation and availability of specific foods; and food customs specific to Shabbat and different Jewish holidays, such as challah, jachnun, malawach, gefilte fish, cholent (hamin) and sufganiyot.

One of the wonderful things about blogging is you get to have contact with people from all over the world there are a few Israel blogs that I frequent and they all have the healthiest recipes. I suggest you hop over to their sites and sample the cuisine of Israel.
Ruth’s Real Food: http://www.ruthsrealfood.com/
Weekly Menu Plan:
Sunday: Moroccan Lamb Patties (used Beef) with Quinoa and Broccoli
Meatless Monday: Scrambled Asparagus Pasta with Olive Oil Ice Cream for dessert
Tuesday: Lemon Chicken Breasts with Coconut Forbidden Rice and Tomato Salad
Wednesday: Olive Oil Pasta with sautéed Eggplant, Tomatoes and Garlic
Thursday: Pizza  Mom is busy evaluating Senior internship projects at the high school.
Friday: Olive Oil Gnocchi with Andouille Sausage, Spinach and Onions
Saturday: Stuffed Artichokes with Spaghetti Aioli 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter