Cafe Style Grated Carrot Salad: French Fridays with Dorie

carrot salad
Cafe Style Grated Carrot Salad 

When I lived in Manhattan I lived on this salad. 

I would pick it up at Dean & Deluca if I was downtown or Zabars if I was uptown. Every gourmet deli sold a version of it. My favorites were the ones that tasted like Dorie's salad. 

Because Dorie's recipe is primarily Dijon mustard the sweetness of the carrots are not overwhelming. When I have had this salad with a sweet dressing I usually can only eat a few bits of it, especially if it contained sweet raisins too.

Speaking of raisins, I thought I had currants on hand, but when I took them down from the cupboard the container said: cranberries. Well, I put 1/2 cup of dried cranberries in the microwave covered in water for 2 minutes and let them sit until I had the dressing and the carrots ready. I added them into the salad and they were wonderful. I like the cranberries more in the salad than the traditional raisins because their tartness counters the sweetness of the carrots. 

My husband couldn't stop eating the salad. My daughter thought there should be more "stuff" in it. My teenage son said, "I don't hate it." which qualifies as a compliment these days. And I enjoyed the flashback memories of being in my 20's and hanging out alone eating a quick meal before I went out clubbing... 



Note: As a member of French Friday's with Dorie I am not allowed to print the recipe. I invite you to take a look at this wonderful cookbook "Around My French Table" if you are interested in this or any other recipe I review. 







Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter