Baked Vegetable Samosa (whole wheat).....Step by Step.


Baked samosa, yeah you heard me right BAKED SAMOSA!!

Baked samosa filled with vegetable goodness...its vegan...its healthy.

I have been trying to make healthy after-school-snacks for my kids....trying to limit the frying especially.

As a rule while making samosa I use only whole wheat flour.....even when I make pizza, I use whole wheat flour; though the pizza base wont be as soft and spongy as made with plain flour....I make my kids "like" whole wheat flour based pizza base and samosa (or whatever I make with whole wheat flour) insisting to them the health benefits of wheat flour, and now they does not seem to mind much.


Lets get cooking!

Ingredients:
(For the samosa dough)
Whole wheat flour/Atta: 1 cup.
Oil: 2 tbsp (I used rice bran oil).
Salt: 1/2 tsp.
Ajwain: 1/4 tsp. (optional).
Little water to knead.

(for the vegetable filling)
Vegetables chopped: 1 cup.
Onion: 1, sliced.
Ginger: A small piece, sliced or chopped.
Red chilly powder: 1 tsp ( I use Kashmiri Red chilly powder).
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp.
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp.
Dry Mango Powder/Amchur: 1/2 tsp.
Salt to taste.
Coriander/Cilantro leaves.
Oil: 1 tbsp.
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp.
Boiled and mashed potatoes: 250 gm.

Method:
In a pan heat 1 tbsp oil, add the cumin seeds, onion, ginger; fry for a min or two and add the red chilly powder, turmeric, and garam masala.

Add the chopped veggies to it......add little water cover and cook, (put some veggies like carrots, beans, capsicum, cabbage etc into food processor and blitz away).


Add the boiled and mashed potatoes....add the dry mango powder, mix well. Add coriander leaves....and allow it to cool.

For the samosa dough:

In a bowl take 1 cup of atta or whole wheat flour and add salt, ajwain seeds, and 2 tbsp of oil. Simply rub the oil into the flour till it resembles bread crumbs.

Add little water to knead it into a dough, the dough should not be very lose...should be on the harder side because I am not going to add any flour to it while rolling it out. After about 10 minutes rest you can grease your hand in oil and again knead it (sorry I forgot to take that pic)

Divide the dough into equal sized balls, rolled out into rounds and cut in the middle with your pizza cutter. I did not dust with flour, just flattened into small rounds....well this one was not actually round (my daughter's skills are getting better)...but it does not matter for samosa....still if you want to see a perfectly round one; the one I made for the spinach samosa.

Place a tablespoon of the veggie/potato mix on one half of the dough.

Simply cover it into a cone shape. Just press the sides with your finger tips...no need for water or dough paste to stick the sides...just press into the dough at the seams.

Grease a baking tray and line butter paper on it.....place the samosas on it and brush oil lightly on top.

Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for 15 minutes and then take out the baking tray and turn the samosa to the other-side and again brush oil and bake for another 15 min or until done....it is best eaten warm.

My kids loved this healthy samosa.

Hope you will enjoy baked samosa as much as I did.

TIP: If you are making with plain flour, the outer covering will be more crunchy and flaky.
Powered by eRecipe.com


One year ago: Whole wheat spinach samosa; fried version.
                      Whole Wheat Garlic Rolls...baked version.

P.S. Like my post?? Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter