Lamb Pot Pie





Cold weather makes me a bit grumpy. We've been having a bit of a cold spell so I needed something that just warmed me up and comforted my grumpy soul. Pot Pies are one of those things that just make you feel good. I decided to elevate the classic comfort food into something a bit more foodie-esque. This lamb pot pie gave me everything I needed. My mouth was giddy, my body was warm, and my soul was nourished. I even made a couple extras to freeze for later. 


Ingredients

1 lb lamb meat, 1-inch cubes (I used leg of lamb)
6 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 large fennel bulb, roughly chopped
5 large carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
1 cup frozen peas

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups beef broth
1 cup red grape juice
1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/3 cup fresh rosemary, chopped

1 prepared pie crust recipe or frozen puff pastry (thawed according to package directions)
1 egg
1 tablespoon water


Instructions

1. In a sizzling hot skillet, sear the lamb cubes on all sides. Only sear the sides, as the meat will continue to cook in the oven. Set aside. 

2. In a large skillet, sautee the mushrooms, fennel, carrots, and onion over high heat for 5-8 minutes until everything has been cooked and is tender crisp. Remove from heat and stir in the seared lamb. 

3. In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour to make a paste. Increase the heat to high and pour in the beef broth and grape juice. Add in the herbs and bring it to a boil. Simmer for a couple minutes as the sauce thickens. 

4. Spoon the cooked veggies and lamb into individual ramekins, or into one pie dish or even just a 9x9 pan. Pour the sauce over the filling until the filling is mostly covered. 

5. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. Use your fingers to rub the whisked egg around the rim of your pan(s). Top with a pie crust or puff pastry, sealing the edges along the pan. Brush the top of the crust with the egg.

6. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes, until the crust is golden. 





Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter