Ham and Fig Wraps


Gorgeous right? Sometimes I forget that I live in paradise. People dream of living near the beach and I simply forget that I do! It takes so much effort to pack up the kids AND a picnic to take to the beach, but every time I do it I walk away knowing it was worth it. My husband has been working long hours, 6 days a week for a few months now. The lack of family time is killing me! I decided I'd take matters into my own hands and steal my husband away from work at 5:30 and whisk him off for an evening at the beach. He loves figs. That is how I lured him in. I'm on a wrap binge lately so I thought of a quick way to incorporate figs into a wrap. It was simple really. I had some brie I needed to use so I threw that in there with some sliced ham, spinach, and a balsamic-onion reduction. If you don't want to fork out the bucks for brie, you could always substitute cream cheese. It tasted great out there on the beach, watching the waves roll in. I even conquered my admittedly ridiculous fear of sharks and did some boogie boarding with my 4 year old. Have you ever seen a 4 year old boogie board? It's awesome. He rides those waves with no fears. Yes, the waves crash over him, and yes he takes tumbles, but he gets back up every single time with a smile on his face. Despite his fearless nature when it comes to all things ocean, he was still too afraid to try a fig. Plain ham and cheese wrap for him!


Ingredients

1 tsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 extra large burrito style tortillas
4 oz brie
8 slices ham
4 figs, sliced
4 cups spinach leaves


Instructions

1. In a small saucepan heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and sautee for 4-5 minutes. Add in the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 10 minutes, until it reduces.

2. Compile the wraps by spreading brie over each tortilla. Top each with 2 slices of ham, sliced figs, 1 cup spinach leaves, and a heaping helping of the onion/balsamic reduction. Roll and serve. 

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter