How To Make Crispy Dosa

How to make crispy paper roast dosa, is something which I never thought of posting it here on my blog. Paper dosa is thin dosa, as thin as a paper....dosa is one of the staple breakfast of South India
....which is known by everyone and never crossed my mind...that somebody will need this recipe or atleast how I make crispy crunchy dosa....dosa batter is a life saver for me.... I always make sure I have enough dosa batter stored in my fridge. I love to make dosa varieties with the batter, I have posted some dosa varieties here on my blog too.

I have had queries from some of my wonderful readers on how to make dosa batter, crispy dosa, paper dosa etc. So I thought why not share this everyday breakfast; which is so common in South India, a staple in my house. Dosa, is one of the healthiest food on the planet or so it seems :) (without oil) ...Urad dal, raw rice, rice flakes or cooked rice, and salt is grinded to a thick batter and fermented overnight...at least 8-9 hours of fermentation is needed...for the batter to rise...ah! yes! there is no yeast or soda powder!! and so very healthy and filling.

The picture of crispy dosa, was probably taken more than a year ago....it was sitting idle in my drafts :)

Notes: I do not own or use a table top grinder, I use Preethi Mixer Grinder/Blender and I am quite satisfied with dosa and idili.

Author: Nisa Homey
Ingredients:
Raw White Rice: 2 cups.
Urad Dal: 1 cup.
Rice Flakes or Cooked White Rice/Brown Rice: 1 cup.
Fenugreek Seeds (Methi/Uluva): 1 tsp.
Water: As needed, maybe 1-1-1/2 cups to grind and extra for soaking.
Salt: 1 tsp.
Method:
In a bowl, put in the raw rice and urad dal...pour water and let it soak for 2 hours at least....some like to soak the rice and urad dal separately, but I always do this way.


After the soaking is over, clean and rise the rice and dal...or you can do it before soaking. Put the cleaned dal and rice in a blender.


White rice flakes or aval.

Put this on top of the rice and dal in the blender. You can also use cooked white rice, instead of flakes. Add salt.

Add enough water.


Grind until smooth.

Pour this into a pan....keep it to ferment preferably overnight.

After it is fermented, the batter will rise up....your dosa batter is ready to use. I usually, store it in the fridge for a long time. 


To make crispy dosa, heat an iron skillet tawa or a nonstick pan....once the pan is heated, reduce the flame to lowest....grease  tawa with oil and then pour about a ladleful of the batter in circular motion, very thinly....drizzle ghee or oil, if needed. Flip over and when it is crispy and brown, remove it to a plate. Your crispy crunchy paper roast is ready.

Serve with chutney or sambar.

Notes: I measure the rice and dal with a smaller cup, 125 ml cup so as to fit my blender in one go, and not the 200 ml cup I usually use for cakes and for all the other recipes in this blog.
One thing, I have noticed is that once the batter has fermented and risen up, do not mix it...scoop from the top to make dosa or you can make idilis with the same batter. I used to mix the batter nicely till sometime back, but then I observed that the batter tends to become sour very fast. So, its is best not to mix or stir it.
You can make uthappam, set dosa or thattu dosa...and all the other varieties of dosa with this batter.
This is the basic dosa/idili batter.
To make "ghee roast" drizzle only ghee over thin dosa.
To make "butter roast" drizzle butter.
                 
 P.S. Like my post?? Get the latest updates straight to your email! Subscribe NOW!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter