Double Chocolate and Banana Tart: French Fridays with Dorie

Double Chocolate and Banana Tart

You are going to think I am soooo spoiled... and I am.  Yes, my husband the "Artisan Bread Baker" made the Fougasse for me last week, and this week my 10 year old daughter the "Amazing Pastry Chef" made the tart.  We all have our specialities in the Balch Family. I am the "Savory Everyday Cook" and my son well, he's just in charge of eating. You see he is officially a teenager today, and we all know how much teenagers need to eat. He was fortunate to get this tart on his actual birthday since his sister already baked him a double chocolate ganache filled cake for his party this past weekend.

So what did we think of the tart... loved it. The contrast between the bitterness of the chocolate and the sweetness of the caramelized bananas and apricot glaze had our tastebuds dancing. The chef ate two pieces she loved it so much, sorry I can't include a picture of her enjoying the tart but her copyright fees are outrageous.

Criticisms were minimal our issues were more preferences than real problems with the recipe. It wasn't clearly stated if the tart should be served chilled, so we let it warm to room temperature which I think was a mistake. I would have preferred the ganache to be firmer, so eating it directly from the fridge would have been better. Dorie also had the largest bananas I've ever seen... because one caramelized banana was not enough to cover the bottom of the tart, and it took not two but six bananas to decorate the top.

We all agree the best part was the crust... it was heavenly shortbread and I could have eaten it alone.
On a roll with Around My French Table...
Bon Appetit!






Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter