Kabocha Squash...it's new to me!: Healthy Eating

Kabocha Bagel with black-eyed peas and green beans
Kabocha Bagel with black-eyed peas and green beans

It seems like far too many weeks ago I had lunch with a friend at ABC Kitchen in Manhattan. This restaurant is around the block from a very large green market that is held in Union Square. As most restaurants are trying to do these day... their menu is seasonal with many of their ingredients from the local farmer's market. An appetizer of Roasted Kabocha Toast really stood out to me because I had never eaten kabocha squash before. There are not many vegetables I haven't eaten... so I was intrigued by this Japanese pumpkin that is sweeter than butternut squash with the texture of a sweet potato.


kabocha squash: Simple Living & Eating

I finally got around to buying a kabocha. They are grown locally and are available all winter. I wanted to share my kabocha toast experience with my family. I didn't have any bread for toast, but we had a lot of bagels leftover from a brunch, so I improvised the ABC recipe and replaced ricotta cheese and toast with cream cheese and bagels. It worked out fine. It was delicious as a side dish with black-eyed peas and green beans.

I highly recommend experimenting with kabocha, beside it being a different and tasty squash; it is a mega source of beta carotene along with iron, vitamin C and potassium. Check out some these interesting recipes:


ABC Kitchen's Roasted Kabocha Toast
ABC Kitchen's Roasted Kabocha Toast
Baked Winter Squash with Greens & Bacon
Baked Winter Squash with Greens & Bacon
Kabocha Squash Curry
Kabocha Squash Curry
Kabocha Squash Pie
Kabocha Squash Pie

Weekly Menu Plan:



Meatless Monday: Cannoli Beans in Butter and Sage, Millet Carrots & Peas 

Tuesday: Pasta Fazool Soup (recipe this Friday)


Thursday: Potato Leek Soup with Whole Wheat Rolls

Friday: Spaghetti and Meatballs with Green Salad

Saturday: Trader Joe's Canned Beef Chili, Mexican Blend Cheese, and Trader Joe's Cornbread Mix

This post is shared with: 

menu plan monday


Enhanced by Zemanta

Related Posts

Subscribe Our Newsletter